My Moment in Greece


You know when you have that moment, that moment of complete and under satisfaction, that moment of “awe”, that moment that was my key moment in Greece, was a very simple one. It was the first real day there. Had a good night before, sharing a bottle of wine with some of the guys, solid 6 hours of sleep, and an hour before class, it all happened. Two words can tell you what it is, but no amount of words could describe its worth and its meaning to me.

Sitting in the café before class. The day was bright and sunny and the orange trees outside the café glistened in the sun. The aroma of coffee and baking breads and pastries lingered in the air. As I sat, looking over then menu, I knew exactly what I was going to get. I had this certain beverage before, at a Greek festive in Tacoma in the fall. The Greek women who had made it for me said something that really stuck with me. “Only Greeks make the best, never drink it, if a Greek didn’t make it,” and she claimed to make the best, which I did not argue with, because she was an older lady, an they always make the best everything and when I drank what she had made, it was like drinking a bit of heaven, sweet, rich, and perfect.

So sitting there, with the sun shinning in, the view of the Acropolis in the background, the buzz of the busy street in front of me, the sweet smells leaking form inside the café, and a big cup of heaven in my hands, I knew that I was going to love Greece. That from this moment on, I would take everything in, let nothing pass me by, and enjoy every moment of the next three weeks, submerse myself completely in every way possible into Greek life and their culture, leave my mind open, and let everything seep in.

Without that moment that I completely let myself go and without that cup of heaven, I am not sure how the trip would have differed, but the experience I had ha everything I could ask for and more. That moment of pure bliss and inspiration brought to me by Greek coffee.

comments:

There are currently no comments.

Post a Comment

Wang Center for Global Education, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue S. Tacoma, WA 98447 253-531-7577