Greece in Hindsight... Phenomenal


So, I am writing my final blog today as I am sitting in a familiar place, but not familiar for long. I am at my house back in Puyallup, and I will soon be moving out this summer in June. I am also living in the dorms at the moment and soon I will not be there either. I just got back from the trip of a lifetime in Greece. We moved from our home for weeks at the CYA, we moved away from our hotel in Rhodes, and we breezed through the hotel looking at the Acropolis. We are always in a constant state of change; at the point you become static is the point that life is now moving past. I started off as not being in this class. I started off in the Italy class because I got turned down from this Greece trip. I was absolutely devastated, and I didn't want to go to Italy because I am probably going to go there with my girlfriend later in life but I was not sure if I was ever going to go to Greece. I received the email about a month after I had been rejected saying that a spot had opened up in the class. I was almost crying again, and this time they were tears of joy. From that point on I was in a great place in my life knowing that I was about to experience the trip of a lifetime.

This trip was more than just a trip of a lifetime because this trip was an experience. I am a offroad motocross racer and in doing what I do when I practice a lot of what happens is trial and error time after time and getting lost in the process. We were blessed in Greece to be able to do pretty much whatever we wanted to do/ could afford/ could get transportation to. There were times that we might have been in an awkward situation being confronted by some shady characters, we might have gotten lost at night for a little while before getting back on the right track, we might have gotten hustled out of a couple Euros on a pointless item, we might have been out of our comfort zone, we might have been climbing on ancient ruins with hundreds of feet to fall beneath us, we might have made some incredible memories, and we might have made some great friendships with people that you never knew went to the same school that you did. Aside from Robert and I being great friends from football I didn't know anyone in trip (I knew Ivory from highschool but we hadn't really known eachother), and I started off the trip kind of sticking to myself and not getting to know everyone. I ended the trip with many new friendships that I never would have had before, and it was just for the simple fact that only a handful of people had friendships within the group going in and most of us didn't know eachother from Adam. I am sure that everyone is excited to be seeing their families, boyfriends/ girlfriends, pets, husband/ wife, children, any other family, and friends; but I am sure that everyone is feeling that empty feeling that something is missing. There will be no more late night cafe moments, looking at the Acropolis from our Classroom, walking by the stadium on the way to the Plaka, looking out at the sea to Turkey, and aside from a couple more class sessions any more time that we will all be together again. Soak it up "People!", and reminisce on what has taken place. Realize that we had the trip of a lifetime, realize that your parents might have sacrificed to let you have this experience, realize your hardwork in pursuing knowledge from the class, realize the hardwork that you might have done to pay your own way to get over there, and most of all realize that almost everthing that happened went off without a hitch. We are all back safe and sound, and will be sharing these experiences with everyone that didn't get to go. Even if we all end up failing the class we will have gained life experience, memories, and the tenacity to keep pushing when you're in an unfamilar place surrounded by people that are not the same as you. Greece 2011, phenomenal, declaring "pre......", Karaoke singin, Ben Sira bashin, late nights, early mornings, Jason Deruloin, jet-lagged death marchin, sight seein, "THIS IS SPARTA" yellin, pit of death kickin, Finitsis museum fightin, laughin, sun set pictures, last day views, day hikin, everything else that I might have missed.... Greece.

comments:

There are currently no comments.

Post a Comment

Wang Center for Global Education, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue S. Tacoma, WA 98447 253-531-7577