Greece in Hindsight

Give yourself fully to experiences. If there's one thing I wish I would have done in Greece it was dance with that flash mob that we saw at the metro! I haven't forgotten that afternoon, and I wish I would have just joined in! Many of you probably remember this day, we were all waiting to take the metro down to the seaside, and all of a sudden this group of young adults came up to the stop with a boom box and started bustin' out the moves. I remember watching them thinking in my head, "just dance, Katie!" but I was too nervous, too embarrassed, too whatever. And I wish I hadn't been.

To be honest, I had all these bad omens going into our Greece trip and things kept happening that I felt were signs that I shouldn't be going. What I can now say is, sometimes, these feelings are wrong, people!!! I am so glad that I took this opportunity and went to Greece. I had a lot of worries and things sort of "weighing me down," before our departure, ya know? And Greece was just like this great opportunity to let go of those realities for a while, and be reminded that stuff is always going to be happening, there's always going to be something to worry about, dwell on, etc. and the important thing is just to laugh and find beauty, peace and contentment in this moment. As I get older, I get better and better at this. Because really, we don't have any other choice. Now, I'm not advocating that we, for example, abandon our lives when things get difficult, but I do think it's safe to say that going to Greece was the best thing I could have done for myself this January. In the words of one of my favorite people,we laugh because if we didn't laugh, we'd cry. Sometimes I think about this statement, and even though it sounds kind of depressing, I don't read it to be so. In Greece, we laugh and we enjoy and we savor and we feel and we love. And that's life, people. We find ways to enjoy the here and now because tomorrow is never promised and because frankly, if there is a tomorrow, there will be some other thing to worry about or deal with.

I am really grateful that I had the chance to give myself to this experience, and even though I wish I had danced in that flash mob, I've learned an important lesson and you can be sure next time, I'll be the first one to join in on that flash mob. 

comments:

There are currently no comments.

Post a Comment

Wang Center for Global Education, Pacific Lutheran University, 12180 Park Avenue S. Tacoma, WA 98447 253-531-7577